FAQ - Pet Gate
Retract-A-Gate has been used with just about every breed of dog and has performed very well.
There are some breeds of dogs which like to burrow and dig. For these dogs a metal dog gate may be your best option. When installed properly, there will be some amount of give to the mesh material due to the fact that it needs to be flexible in order to retract. However, if installed incorrectly there may be too much flexibility.
By following these guidelines, you can minimize any issues:
- Make sure to always lock the retractable safety gate by pushing and turning the lock. This will keep the mesh taut and help prevent your pet from pushing the mesh out.
- Be sure the base of the dog gate is sitting on the floor and is not mounted up off the floor at all. When in use there should be no more than about 1cm gap between the bottom of the mesh and the floor.
- If you have the retractable safety gate mounted near a step, make sure the mesh is at least 12 cm back from the edge of the step. Being close to an edge can create a gap that dogs may be able to push through.
- When the mesh is extended and locked, both the top and bottom should be tight with no slack. If there is slack in the bottom, it probably means the bottom brackets are spaced too close to each other (compared to the upper brackets). Adjust the brackets so the distance between them across the opening is identical.
- To apply a slight amount of additional tension before locking the mesh in place, tighten the roll of fabric (no more than 1/8 of a turn), and then lock the gate.
With a mesh height of 34 inches, Retract-A-Gate is one of the tallest retractable dog gates available. When locked, the mesh is held taut, so it is difficult to push down. Retract-A-Gate’s tightly woven mesh fabric would be difficult for a dog to climb over. If your dog loves to jump and can jump over a three foot fence or safety gate, you will need a taller dog gate.
With a mesh height of 34 inches, Retract-A-Gate is one of the tallest available. When locked, the mesh is held taut, so it is difficult to push down.
Retract-A-Gate’s tightly woven mesh fabric would be difficult for a cat to climb over.
Most cats are inclined not to jump up and over things; they want a flat surface to land on first before they jump back down. Since the retractable pet gate doesn’t offer a “ledge” for them to jump up to, most cats will not jump over the pet gate.
If your cat loves to jump and can jump over a three foot fence or safety gate, you will need a taller cat gate.